sketch-devel

Re: multipage documents?

From: Bernhard Herzog
Subject: Re: multipage documents?
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 20:04:41 +0100

Antoon Pardon <address@hidden> writes:

> Will sketch in the future be able to handle multipage documents?

Perhaps.  When I started with Skencil I didn't implement multipage
documents because it would have been more complex, Illustrator seemed to
get by without it too :) and in most cases if you want to have multipage
documents you're probably better of with (La)TeX or some graphical DTP
program where you embed EPS files generated with Skencil.  Since there
seems to be some demand for support for multiple pages in Skencil -- at
least it has been requested several times over the years -- we should
probably at least consider it.

> 1) A document has pages and a page has layers.
>
> This is a rather straight forward organisation
> and should probably be rather easy to implement.

This approach can be extended to the second approach at a later stage.
So if we ever get multipage documents, this would probably the first
stage of implementing them.

For 0.7 it's probably too much work.  It's not just the document object
itself that needs to be changed, but all the code that works with
documents.  The assumption that a document is just a collection of
layers is probably spread all over the code.

   Bernhard

--
Intevation GmbH                                 http://intevation.de/
Skencil                                           http://skencil.org/