sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] mailsync with PKS

From: Jonathan Oxer
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] mailsync with PKS
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 10:16:35 +1100

On Sun, 2009-02-08 at 19:37 +0100, Andy Ruddock wrote:

> Sorry to answer to myself, I believe the correct solution is to add
>
> keyserver: debian-sks
> debian-sks: "|/path/of/sks_add_mail /path/to/sks/directory"
>
> to /etc/aliases
>
> and add the "procmail entry" to a new file /var/lib/sks/.procmailrc

Although it's not clear from the archived documentation, I believe you
only need to add one or the other, not both. They're two different ways
to achieve the same end result.

The first approach is with the aliases file which allows you to specify
recipients of email at a system level. The entry you listed above will
send all email addressed to "address@hidden" to the sks_add_mail
script directly, and the user doesn't even need to exist.

The second approach is with a procmail entry which is processed within
the context of the user, so it assumes the user exists and
the .procmailrc file is within their home directory (in your case it
seems the home directory for the "debian-sks" user is "/var/lib/sks": do
"grep debian-sks /etc/passwd" to check) and that procmail is installed
and being invoked by the MTA.

There's nothing wrong with doing both, but assuming that your MTA is
reading the aliases file properly your procmail file will never actually
be read because the mail will be redirected by the aliases file entry
first anyway, and the debian-sks user will never see it.

Cheers    :-)
--
Jonathan Oxer
Ph +61 4 3851 6600