sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] SKS RAM usage gone haywire

From: Ari Trachtenberg
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] SKS RAM usage gone haywire
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 21:33:42 -0500

Phil Pennock wrote:
I restarted recon to pick up a couple of admin changes (ulimits, reopen
fds 0,1,2 on /dev/null so they're not revoked in the process) and got to
see the memory and RSS usage shoot up.  CPU was pegging out.  When it
finished, the memory/RSS stayed high but the CPU dropped back down to 0.

This maxed out at 811MB memory, so is much lower than before.

While this was happening, I hit the recon process with lsof and saw that
it was connected to [217.66.26.140], which is bazon.ru.  This is the
peer who only has a few tens of thousands of keys.

This could cause a problem. Remember that the memory scales with delta ... so if delta is high, memory usage will be as well. This is usually
not a problem for hard disk usage, but it could be a problem for RAM.

The simplest solution would be to switch modes when the number of differences is astronomical and simply do a wholesale transfer of data.

Best,
        -Ari