sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Server won't start after copy of DB

From: Arnold
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Server won't start after copy of DB
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 00:18:51 +0200

Hello Peter, C.J.,

On 06/23/2010 10:04 AM, Peter Pramberger wrote:
> Am Mi, 23.06.2010, 00:49, schrieb Arnold:
>> I moved the database to an SSD hard disk and since that moment it
>> immediately exits after it starts.
>
> Silly question, but have you done a "db_recover" in the new location?

Not a silly question! ;-)  I am not so familiar with all the db_xxx tools.
(I did db_verify, though.) Now, I've done db_recover (without options), but
the same result. Note that the 'old' server was stopped in a controlled way,
it was no crash.

> I'm not sure if the region files somehow reference to the original
> database location (or maybe inodes)...

Thanks, it must be the inodes...

Both the old and the new path are /srv/pub/sks/.... (with a sym-link from
/var/lib/sks to that location). So, it's not the path. This raises the
question, how does one restore a database to a new system after a crash?

Now, I mounted the old partition somewhere else and sym-linked /srv/pub/sks
to that new location. SKS is running happily again!!!

On 06/23/2010 05:40 PM, C.J. Adams-Collier wrote:
> oh.  I just thought of something: You will likely get this done more
> quickly if you grab the snapshot and start over.

I am afraid you are right... Now that the server is running again, I can
create my own dump instead of downloading it and rebuild from that. This
will be some job for the weekend.

If, in the meantime, anybody comes up with a solution to reuse an existing
database on a new partition with new inodes, I'd be more than happy to learn
about it! :-)

Thanks for the help!

    Arnold