sks-devel

[Sks-devel] Backup/restore DB (Re: Server won't start after copy of DB)

From: Arnold
Subject: [Sks-devel] Backup/restore DB (Re: Server won't start after copy of DB)
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 00:05:05 +0200

On 06/27/2010 08:28 PM, Jeff Johnson wrote:
> On Jun 27, 2010, at 2:25 PM, C.J. Adams-Collier wrote:
>>> The question now is, how to do a backup that can be restored to a new disk?
>>
>> Isn't that the question you just answered? :)
>
> Well, not quite ...

Indeed, I had my old database in good working order available (I just had to
mount the partition) to do the dump. From that I "restored" (= rebuilt) the
new database.
This is very different from recovery from backup after the database is
destroyed.

> Procedures for backup of a Berkeley DB (with logs that are path/record
> sensitive)
> are described in the doco @oracle.com. An SKS keyserver database is no
> different.

OK, I've looked it up and here it is for the archive. The procedures are
described in chapter 5 of the doc's:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation
/berkeley-db/db/gsg_txn/c/index.html

Important steps:
- Before backing up the files (offline), do a checkpoint (db_checkpoint
command line utility).
- Use catastrophic recovery when you are recovering your databases from a
previously created backup to an empty directory (db_recover command line
utility with the the -c option).

Although I did run db_recover, I did not use the '-c' option. It would have
saved me some time...

Hope this helps others! :-)

   Arnold