sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Backup and Restoration of SKS Server

From: Jeff Johnson
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Backup and Restoration of SKS Server
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 11:12:40 -0400

On Apr 5, 2011, at 10:57 AM, Patrick R McDonald wrote:

> All,
>
> I am looking to move liberty.antagonism.org to different hardware to
> provide better service.  It will also allow me to offer the server as a
> hidden service.  I search the web for a backup and restore instruction
> for SKS, but was unable to find anything useful.  Could someone please
> point me in the right direction?

Moving a SKS store is no hader than moving any other Berkeley DB store.
See the Oracle Berkeley DB details: the FAQ
        http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/berkeleydb/db-faq-095848.html
here (see item #41) is likely the gentlest introduction of what
needs to be done to backup-and-restore a Berkeley DB.

There is nothing particular in need of backup-and-restore procedures
associated with a SKS keyserver in most cases (configuration is a different
matter than the store itself).

IMHO, its likely just about the same effort to set-up a new SKS keyserver as it
is to
move an old one. And the setup procedure to create a SKS keyserver
from a dump is likely better documented than digging through the
Oracle DB documentation and learning how to use various obscure utilities.

There's actually some benefit in creating new instead of moving old as well,
because of the data organization with an SKS store: all keys updated
since the key server was originally installed will be re-mapped into
dump files rather than saved by value.

73 de Jeff