sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Optimum number of peers

From: Robert J. Hansen
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Optimum number of peers
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 09:20:29 -0400

> In theory an optimal value could be computed but there are
> too many parameters (e.g. network delay and bandwidth...

Additionally, these parameters are in effect constants.  The SKS algorithm will
have roughly logarithmic speed in propagating keys through the network:
everything else (including how many peers you're connected with) affects it
only by a constant factor.

O(lg N) speed is *fast*.  Like, really, really fast.  So my suggestion: make
sure you have at least two peers and you should be golden.  Trying to make it
even faster is kind of like trying to put racing stripes and aftermarket body
kits on a Saturn V rocket: you can do it if you really want to, but there's not
much point.  :)