sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] IPv6 peering; keydumps annoyingly large

From: Johan van Selst
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] IPv6 peering; keydumps annoyingly large
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 09:42:07 +0200

oakwhiz wrote:
> Seeing as the keydump is about 4GB, and continually growing, I'm
> wondering what will happen in the future as it increases.
> It will eventually become larger than a standard DVD, making it more
> difficult to transport via 'sneakernet' (physical media.)

I have a 32Gb micro-SD card sitting on my desk: much smaller than a DVD.
And with harddisks of 2Tb being common, I'm not really worried about
running out of diskspace to store a keydump any time soon either.

That said, there is indeed a lot of old stuff kept in the keydump.
I wonder how useful it is to keep distributing all the old keys that
have been revoked years ago. But as long as the keyservers manage to
respond as fast as they do now, it's probably not worth the effort to
clean this up.

Regards,
Johan