sks-devel

[Sks-devel] Peering wiki text updated

From: Phil Pennock
Subject: [Sks-devel] Peering wiki text updated
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 16:32:51 -0500

Daniel referring to the reverse proxy stuff as a best practice nudged me
to take another look at the peering wiki page.

I've emphasised the current stance of folks that this is a best
practice, as backed by Daniel's stance, the impact of not doing so, and
the sheer number of servers on <http://www.sks-keyservers.net/status/>
now listed as RProx.  For servers in the pool, it's now a majority.

I've toned down the downside text, since the pool now requires 1.1.3 as
a minimum version anyway, so the pre-1.1.2 servers that don't include a
version on the POST for key sends won't be in the public pools.

So any network splits caused on the day when every modern server uses a
reverse proxy will "only" shut out non-pool servers; I consider that
regrettable, but it's the only choice, without a major overhaul of how
SKS works so that the proxy becomes unnecessary and versionless POSTs
can be handled.

(And hey, if there's at least one Hockeypuck server in the pool by then,
those will become the gateways that help the mesh avoid full
partitioning.)

I also updated the nginx example to include Server/Via header fix
example text.

If someone has a current good example of Apache config for this, we
should add that too.

-Phil