sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] SKS apocalypse mitigation

From: Gabor Kiss
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] SKS apocalypse mitigation
Date: Thu, 3 May 2018 21:18:15 +0200 (CEST)

> The second, harder, issue with the above is eventual consistency.
>
> We assume that every peer will eventually see every packet at some
> point. But it is entirely possible that all of my peers will put in
> place policies against (say) photo-ids, and therefore I may never see a
> photo-id that was not directly submitted to me - even if I have no such
> policy myself. I am effectively firewalled behind my peers' policies.
>
> Which then leads to pool consistency issues. If some peers are trapped
> behind a policy firewall, not only will they have missing entries, they
> may not ever *know* that they have missing entries. And this can break
> in both directions simultaneously, as these peers may also contain extra
> entries that the rest of the network will never see.

Just a historical note.
Folks, have you noticed the similarity between distribution of
keys and newsfeed? ("News" was very popular communication form
before forums, web2 and high speed internet access.[1])
News admins had to search "good" partners if they wanted to get a rich
subset of newsgroups.
On the top of evolution of news servers you can find INN with a lot of
sophisticated solutions.
Fraction of experiences of decades of news may be useful here too.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

Gabor