spamass-milt-list

Re: Corrupted messages...

From: Dan Nelson
Subject: Re: Corrupted messages...
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 20:49:16 -0500

In the last episode (Jun 09), Ken Gribble said:
> We are having the same problem with corrupted messages with the same
> description of missing lines, garbage and other people's email
> messages inserted into the body of the message. Because it seems to
> happen 3 or more in a day, I'm curious if it is triggered by a
> specific spam message hitting the system.
>
> Our mail relay is running Solaris 9, sendmail, milter, and
> spamassasin 2.43.

ok; so the common element so far is Solaris.  What version of sendmail
and spamass-milter are you running?  Versions of the milter before
0.1.3 ($Id 1.16 to be exact) definitely did have a bug where previously
free'd data would get inserted into a tagged message's body.

Can you also try running spamass-milter with the environment variable
LD_PRELOAD=watchmalloc.so.1 ?  You don't even have to set MALLOC_DEBUG;
simply loading the shared library will cause all malloc and free calls
to fill their memory blocks with a constant value (0xdeadbeef for
malloc and 0xbaddcafe for free).  If something is really reusing free'd
memory, your header values should be replaced with repeated sets of
"║▌╩■" (possibly byte-swapped :)

> I have an example of a section from one message that was corrupted today,
> and it is very similar to the one you described. The X-Spam-Status and
> X-Spam-Level headers were missing from the header (not normal for our
> setup).
>
> I'll post any solutions we come up with, and thanks to everyone for their
> ideas!
>
> -Ken
>
> PS: Here are those similar lines from the body of the corrupted message:

Just curious - you're getting this exact text, with no values after the
header names?

--
        Dan Nelson
        address@hidden