spamass-milt-list

watchmalloc (Re: Corrupted messages...)

From: Chuck Yerkes
Subject: watchmalloc (Re: Corrupted messages...)
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 15:09:48 -0400

Happened again last night (sendmail's commercial MTA), so that points
to the milter.

Quoting Dan Nelson (address@hidden):
> In the last episode (Jun 09), Ken Gribble said:
> > We are having the same problem with corrupted messages with the same
> > description of missing lines, garbage and other people's email
> > messages inserted into the body of the message. Because it seems to
> > happen 3 or more in a day, I'm curious if it is triggered by a
> > specific spam message hitting the system.
> >
> > Our mail relay is running Solaris 9, sendmail, milter, and
> > spamassasin 2.43.
>
> ok; so the common element so far is Solaris.  What version of sendmail
> and spamass-milter are you running?  Versions of the milter before
> 0.1.3 ($Id 1.16 to be exact) definitely did have a bug where previously
> free'd data would get inserted into a tagged message's body.
>
> Can you also try running spamass-milter with the environment variable
> LD_PRELOAD=watchmalloc.so.1 ?  You don't even have to set MALLOC_DEBUG;
> simply loading the shared library will cause all malloc and free calls
> to fill their memory blocks with a constant value (0xdeadbeef for
> malloc and 0xbaddcafe for free).  If something is really reusing free'd
> memory, your header values should be replaced with repeated sets of
> "????????????" (possibly byte-swapped :)

Oh my, this IS slow...  (watchmalloc and MALLOC_DEBUG).

1) I'm really glad I changed the syslog facility to LOCAL0
2) I'm happy to have an extra partition there for that log.
3) many timeouts (even at 4minutes).