spamass-milt-list

Re: watchmalloc (Re: Corrupted messages...)

From: Chuck Yerkes
Subject: Re: watchmalloc (Re: Corrupted messages...)
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 15:28:48 -0400

Well, murphy lives.
Been running with watchmalloc for the last few days.
Nothing amiss.  <sigh>.

Load is up (from 0.11 to 4-5 on a 4-way machine).
No cores yet.

/me wonders if just the act of clearing memory it keeping
the problem from happening.  Random thoughts move towards the
problem being that some 8 bit data is being written to memory
that's causing the some false End-Of-Something to be tripped.

Quoting Dan Nelson (address@hidden):
> In the last episode (Jun 10), Chuck Yerkes said:
> > Quoting Dan Nelson (address@hidden):
> > > Can you also try running spamass-milter with the environment variable
> > > LD_PRELOAD=watchmalloc.so.1 ?  You don't even have to set MALLOC_DEBUG;
> > > simply loading the shared library will cause all malloc and free calls
> > > to fill their memory blocks with a constant value (0xdeadbeef for
> > > malloc and 0xbaddcafe for free).  If something is really reusing free'd
> > > memory, your header values should be replaced with repeated sets of
> > > "????????????" (possibly byte-swapped :)
> >
> > Oh my, this IS slow...  (watchmalloc and MALLOC_DEBUG).
Nope, -d 3 makes it very slow.  No "-d" flag made is palletable.