spamass-milt-list

Re: I want to optimize for mailinglists.

From: Steven W. Orr
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 13:11:07 -0400 (EDT)

Dan, thanks for responding. I still have more questions, but first I have
a small bug I need to point out in the code that needs fixing:

spamass-milter is not properly daemonizing itself. Under Red Hat 9 I run
ps -auxfw and what I see is this:

root     22714  0.0  0.0 52624  692 pts/2    S    Sep05   0:03 \
/usr/local/sbin/spamass-milter -p /var/run/spamass.sock -f -u user

Note that the process still has control of pts/2. The Red Hat startup
script calls daemonize, but that's probably a misnomer. You need to close
all of your channels, then call setsid, do the double fork (which I
suspect you're probably already doing), set your signal handlers to
something appropriate, etc. If it's done correctly, the ps command will
show a nice juicy questionmark on the TTY setting of the ps output.

On Saturday, Sep 6th 2003 at 10:27 -0500, quoth Dan Nelson:

=>In the last episode (Sep 05), Steven W. Orr said:
=>> Here's my setup. I just installed spamass-milt-0.2.0+cvs and it seems
=>> to be ok. I have three questions.
=>>
=>> The first one is easy.
=>>
[snip] Good answer. Thanks.
=>
=>> 2. mailinglists. This one is harder. I run a majordomo list manager.
=>> Before I switched to using the milter, none of the mail that came in
=>> addressed to a list address went through SA. That's because there is
=>> no user associated a list address, thus nobody to deliver to, thus no
=>> procmail processing. Now that I'm in a milter environment I just
=>> don't know where I stand. Is there a way to tell the system that I
=>> want all mail that is addressed to a list address that it should use
=>> my account as the default user? What processing is used in the first
=>> place. I'm confused.
=>
=>One possible way to add spamassassin to majordomo without using a
=>milter would be to edit your redirection alias to read "|spamc |
=>/home/majordomo/wrapper etc etc", and add X-Spam-Flag: to your taboo
=>headers list.  With a milter, you don't have to edit the alias since
=>all mail gets filtered.

But first I need to understand where I stand. Does the setup now still not
do anything or is there some sort of default processing going on? BTW, I
like the idea of using the enhancement to the alias, but I'd prefer to
make SA or the milter do it in the first place.

--
-Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Stranger things have -
-happened but none stranger than this. Does your driver's license say Organ
steveo at syslang.net