spamass-milt-list

Re: Sudden instability

From: Dan Nelson
Subject: Re: Sudden instability
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 18:09:39 -0500

In the last episode (Jul 01), Todd Lyons said:
> Up until yesterday, the mail system was very stable (3 load balanced
> SMTP's handling about 50K messages each per day with clamav and
> spamassassin).  Yesterday I made one config change to spamd, telling
> it not to convert marked spams to an attachment (report_safe 0).  SA
> marks it at 5.0 and the milter rejects it at 7.0.  These are RedHat
> 9.0 boxen.
>
> I didn't notice it until last night, but the spamass-milter process
> is now dying on me at fairly regular intervals.  Last night it was
> about once per hour.  I have a cron job that checks status every 15
> minutes and restarts if necessary.

It could be that there's a new spam sender out there with unusual
header or HELO information that happens to crash the milter.  The
report_safe stuff shouldn't make any difference.  I believe the redhat
RPMs include all the crashing fixes made to CVS since 0.2.0, so if it's
crashing it's a new bug.  A stack trace might help, or if the machine
is fast enough, run the milter for a while under valgrind and see if it
generates any errors.  I only get around 7k messages/day here, and
valgrind doesn't cause enough load to be a problem on a 500Mhz box.

--
        Dan Nelson
        address@hidden