straw-devel

Re: [Straw-devel] 0.23 dependencies, last changes

From: Jan Alonzo
Subject: Re: [Straw-devel] 0.23 dependencies, last changes
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 17:46:28 +1000

Hey,

Juri Pakaste wrote on Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 10:29:56AM +0300:
> Hey, before we release 0.23, I guess we should figure out our
> dependencies. We depend on Gtk+ 2.4/GNOME 2.6, don't we? I certainly
> have edited the glade file with Glade 2.6.0, and so I believe has Jan -
> a few days ago I had some trouble trying to read it with an older glade.
> According to the release announcement, that means we dragged the latest
> releases in as dependencies.
>
> Now, what about pygtk? I think we don't depend on anything later than
> 2.2.0, right? Fixing the deprecationwarning we get from mainquit (well,
> at least I do) would imply, OTOH, that we depended on 2.3.x, I believe.
> That probably wouldn't be a very hot idea.

Regarding dependencies, I think we only need to care about pygtk since it's
what we use directly? And since the current stable release only wraps gtk 2.2,
I guess the same requirements still applies.

On Python, 2.2.2 still works (since straw doesn't use any 2.3-only feature
anyway, or does it?).

On Glade, I hand-edited most of them since I was running 2.6 before and an old
Glade and Glade silently deleting the toolbars so I decided to just edit it
by-hand.

> Jan: I reverted some of your visible changes, as you might have noticed,
> sorry about not asking you first but my mind was pretty set about them.
>
> First, I consider the Subscriptions: and Articles: labels to be listbox
> labels, not section headers; the HIG isn't very clear on this, but I
> believe those are supposed to be not boldface and should end with a :.
> So I made them so. Besides I found the boldfaced texts there rather
> distracting.
>
> Second, I also gave the boot to the .... part of "Updating blogname ....
> failed/done" messages. I disliked the .... in general - ellipsis (three
> dots connected to the previous word, which there is also a unicode
> character for) wouls have seemed to be the standard option for this kind
> of thing - and in this case I didn't think it made very much sense
> anyway. It might have been ok if we were showing progress there or
> something, or at least first displayed "Updating blogname ...." and only
> later showed the "done" or "failed", but we didn't. No time passes
> between the first part of the message and the last, and making the
> message look otherwise would be bad. There's no need for a dramatic
> pause, I think, even if the polling failed :-)

That's alright ;) Most of the aesthetics I did was not really based on HIG or
anything, just personal taste (or what I think is cool during that time :).

Cheers,

Jan