straw-devel

Re: [Straw-devel] updated alternate ui layout

From: Juri Pakaste
Subject: Re: [Straw-devel] updated alternate ui layout
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 10:42:41 +0300

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 11:10 -0400, Owen Williams wrote:
> A while ago I proposed an alternate ui layout for straw.  I tweaked it a
> bit for straw .24, and I thought I'd post diffs to the list and see if
> people like it.  Basically I like straw to be a vertical column, like
> this:
>
> http://ywwg.com/images/straw-ui.png
>
> My diffs are quite lame -- the subscriptions scrollbox is not part of
> the pane so it's not adjustable.  But, it works well enough as a "proof
> of concept" layout.  It would be way-cool if this could be an optional
> layout in straw.

Thanks for the suggestion. It looks nice, and it would be good if we
supported that.

However, it's not going to happen very soon, I'm afraid :-) I've been
thinking about supporting alternate layouts since late last year, I
think. Maybe it wouldn't, in fact, require a huge reworking of the code;
maybe we could just support loading different glade files. But there's
still enough work there that it seems very unlikely to happen in 0.25.
Maybe 0.26. However, it's possible we should consider this while working
on 0.25.

The thing is, I don't want to ship multiple Glade files that have the
same widgets in them. That means multiplied work and certain mistakes.
We would have to find another way.

I just said something on IRC the other day about splitting up the Glade
file. I wonder if it's at all possible to use Glade to edit stuff in
smaller units than windows? If we would have a file that contained the
main window without the middle part, then separate files for the middle
part layouts and separate files for the stuff we insert into the
layouts, this would be pretty easy. Of course, that could make editing
the stuff rather painful. Another approach would be to put the stuff
into the Glade file in certain way and then later change it in the code.
Assuming it's possible. Can you move stuff Glade has created around?
That is, remove widget W from container C1 and insert it into C2?

--
[ Juri Pakaste | address@hidden | http://www.iki.fi/juri/ ]