straw-devel

Re: [Straw-devel] updated alternate ui layout

From: Lucas Nussbaum
Subject: Re: [Straw-devel] updated alternate ui layout
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:18:46 +0200

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 10:42:41AM +0300, Juri Pakaste <address@hidden> wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion. It looks nice, and it would be good if we
> supported that.
>
> However, it's not going to happen very soon, I'm afraid :-) I've been
> thinking about supporting alternate layouts since late last year, I
> think. Maybe it wouldn't, in fact, require a huge reworking of the code;
> maybe we could just support loading different glade files. But there's
> still enough work there that it seems very unlikely to happen in 0.25.
> Maybe 0.26. However, it's possible we should consider this while working
> on 0.25.

I don't like the idea of having this kind of options in Straw. This
makes debugging much harder, since you have to know exactly what
options are being used by the reporter.

We should avoid the tentation of listening to each and every user
suggestion. I've seen cases in another project where somebody asked for
something and wouldn't even use it.

In the specific case of straw, I don't think we should support another
rendering engine. gtkhtml2 just suits our needs. Concerning UI, it might
be good to have ONE other option for setups where real estate on screen
is important. But it should be designed very carefully.
--
| Lucas Nussbaum
| address@hidden    address@hidden    GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |
| jabber: address@hidden   http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net |
| fingerprint: 075D 010B 80C3 AC68 BD4F B328 DA19 6237 023B 3F4F |