[Xlog-discussion] Re: Query old qso data

From: Wilbert Knol
Subject: [Xlog-discussion] Re: Query old qso data
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:56:01 +1300

> Having filled the callsign box in gMFSK, it would be nice to be
> able to query name, qth, locator etc. data from Xlog by clicking a
> button in gMFSK. I'm not sure but I guess the worked b4 feature
> could be used to do this.

<snip>

> I was thinking that maybe it would be better to create a TCP or
> Unix sockets based protocol for this. Powerfull and extensible
> enough to potentially cover at least some future requirements as
> well. Simple Logging Protocol (SLP) ... :)
>
> This would be the third method for remote logging in Xlog, I
> know... :(

Not knowing too much about the subject: maybe using an existing
database server would be an idea.

My own experimental logger uses the PostgreSQL backend through the
Perl Pg interface. It has a dupe-check feature that pops up previous
QSOs with the station beng worked, similar to what's being proposed
for gMFSK.

The logger will run in parallel with the log editor, accessing the
same DB. In theory, I should be able to run multiple instances of the
logger (on separate machines) for multi-operator logging.

I believe there is another DB interface called DBI, which is more
generic, and is supposed to work with any SQL DB, but I haven't tried
it yet.

Wilbert, ZL2BSJ