Re: [Xlog-discussion] Keyer

From: John
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] Keyer
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 20:38:25 +0000

On 09/18/2013 07:30 PM, Ed wrote:
On 09/18/2013 03:05 PM, John wrote:
Using Xlog 2.0.10, I'm trying to get the keyer going. Cwdaemon is
installed ("cwdaemon" in /usr/sbin and /usr/share; both with root as
owner and group). Since I don't have a cable from the parallel port to
the transceiver yet, I'm just testing the keyer.

None of the F keys gives anything from the computer --- no CW sidetone
from the speakers (cwdaemon's default sound device), not even any CW
clicks or hums from inside the machine as I used to hear with my old
computer. Kmix has "built-in analog stereo" selected for everything, and
both external speakers test OK.

Years ago I never did get around to building a switch that would let me
actually use the keyer, but with earlier versions of the software and a
previous computer I could hear the F messages through my speaker and
something (diode or relay) clicking out the CW inside the box. Don't
recall doing anything special, just installing Xlog and cwdaemon.

Any suggestions?

--John K3GHH

Look in /etc/default, at one time the configuration was there.

Ed W3NR

Thanks, Ed. Still there... the defaults looked OK. I uncommented them, though that probably doesn't affect anything. No change in Xlog.

I ran Fldigi and it produced CW through my speakers ("CQ CQ CQ de K3GHH..."). Of course without the proper hookup it didn't key the Orion, but after the first few characters the transceiver produced a steady output until the message finished. I don't know if Fldigi uses cwdaemon.

John K3GHH