ac-archive-maintainers

Re: prefix / Re: Masterplan

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: prefix / Re: Masterplan
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 21:53:23 +0100

Peter Simons schrieb:
Guido Draheim writes:

        AX_ENABLE_DYNAMIC_LINKING
        AX_HAVE_OPENGL

    There is no need to have another prefix following the "AX", as in

        AX_<author-initials>_HAVE_OPENGL

aaahm, not quite - remember we might need to change "names" of
macros quite heavily even when for the same target topic. Therefore,
we need a scheme to allow for a "family" of macros that target
the same problem area. _How_ that extra sibling attribution is
done, well, there are numerous ways, and I would not exclude
author-intials (or project intials) in either the middle or
appended.

However, there is a problem when being put directly after the
AX_, as it might clash with things like "AX_CHECK" or "AX_LIB"
or whatever handling-indicator. An author-initial must be
atleast lower-caps but that might break some tools - they
would not warn about unresolved macro expansions anymore as
they only check for bigcaps-only names in the configure
file.

Therefore, it should be recommended against such thing, and
a note be given to a reasoning page - making it a requirement,
well, I don't know if that is really beneficial. We had the
original scheme to accept a macro as is - aaargh, I am so
much inconclusive here. ;-/

    because we enforce the uniqueness of macro names in the archive.
    Any other naming scheme will not be accepted in order to minimize
    the possibility of name clashes.

    By the way, the "AX" is an abbreviation for "Autoconf Extension".

Just for the sake of having an alternative, I would suggest
considering the prefix "AMA" for "Autoconf Macro Archive" as well.

Please forgive me to shun the latter ;-) ... the problem is about
project names. Most registries like freshmeat and sourceforge and
savannah allow tri-char project names. So there might be a project
names "ama" which exports a macro named "AMA_CHECK_....". That
developer might not be aware of the ac-archive and the policy
around AMA. Well, if we would have registered the ac-archive
everywhere under the tri-char name "ama" :-)=) ... just kidding.

So, it'd be best to pick a two-char prefix, similar to the ones
in autoconf and automake.

-- cheers, guido