ac-archive-maintainers

Re: Macro Name Policy (was: prefix / Re: Masterplan)

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: Macro Name Policy (was: prefix / Re: Masterplan)
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 01:03:20 +0100

Peter Simons schrieb:
Guido Draheim writes:

 > Most registries like freshmeat and sourceforge and savannah allow
 > tri-char project names. So there might be a project names "ama"
 > which exports a macro named "AMA_CHECK_....".

Well ... There might as well be a project called "AX". :-)

sure :-) but there is no way to register it with that "shortname"
anywhere. The "Autoconf Macro Archive" has a shortname as being
the "ac-archive" project. Well, I have to correct myself that
freshmeat has no minimal length on project names (what about
project A?), but with the large amounts of opensource software
most have chosen to ask for a minimum three chars - and a
project AX would need to get a shortname as "ax-project". :-)=)

I don't have a problem with "AX", and I have used the prefix in the
current policy text. I just feel that "Autoconf Extensions" is a bit
pretentious a name; "Autoconf Macro Archive" (AMA) seems to hit the
nail on the head. But this is _really_ not a key issue for me.

well, here we have a different background again, I would interpret
it also as "the gnu archive for autoconf extensions". There might
be more autoconf extensions around, and there might even be other
archives, perhaps taylored to a specific probleme area. However,
the gnu ac-archive (the "gnu autoconf macro archive") is the central
one, referenced on the autoconf main page. ,-) ... in a way, the
derived name would GAMA then... :-)=)