ac-archive-maintainers

Re: How to deal with current contents (was: An (unfinished) guide to th

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: How to deal with current contents (was: An (unfinished) guide to the ac-archive)
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 01:11:18 +0100

Peter Simons schrieb:
Guido Draheim writes:

 > My current problem: the gnu ac-archive has deleted some macros, and
 > I wonder if it is good resurrect them.

If I may, I would like to extend that question to an even broader
scope: We do have tons of macros in the archive right now (and we do
have some that were deleted/renamed in the past). Many of them do
clearly not live up to the standards we have in mind. How do we deal
with this situation?

Keep them. They might be used somewhere, heavily. Contact the author
and inform him of the new policy - I am sure they'll listen. Discuss
renames and style changes, re-submit, make the old name "obsolete",
and let the ac-archive come to a clean state within the next twenty
months. When some author is unwilling, mark it obsolete anyway, and
throw it out some day - warning of the latter processing should make
every author to prick ears. :-)=)