ac-archive-maintainers

Re: How to deal with current contents

From: Peter Simons
Subject: Re: How to deal with current contents
Date: 21 Jan 2003 02:10:10 +0100

It appears we all agree on that issue. :-)

Here's the policy speak version for you to proof-read. (I won't put
that on the web page yet.)

    (1) Of the existing macros, basically _none_ conforms to the
        formal rules of archive. Thus, they HAVE to be moved into the
        "Obsolete" category. Since they have been around for so long,
        they will expire in 18 months, instead of the usual 12 months.

    (2) We will evaluate the current contents to determine the
        necessary changes for them to be re-accepted. Then we contact
        the respective author (where possible), advice him of our
        little project, and ask him to please make those changes.

    (3) If the author refuses or cannot be reached, we make those
        changes ourselves (GPL!) ... Or we don't, and let the macro
        expire.

    (4) If we feel that a macro needs more substantial changes in
        order to be re-accepted, we go through the formal admission
        process. Otherwise we just put the "fixed" version into the
        official section.

Actually, writing "policy stuff" is fun. It has a nice authoritative
ring to it ... As if you knew what you were doing. If I had found the
damned key on my keyboard, I had enumerated the sections with the
paragraph sign (§) they use in legal documents. :-)

Peter