accessibility

Re: [Accessibility] Why not first an IDE that recognizes speech?

From: Susan Jolly
Subject: Re: [Accessibility] Why not first an IDE that recognizes speech?
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 12:03:06 -0600

I understand that the FSS philosophy causes a chicken-and-egg or bootstrap problem if the only people that can be code developers on this project have to use speech recognition. But why is this the case? Are you all against pair programming, for example? I assume rms will let you speak on the phone. Is Skype just free beer?

I can't be the only retired programmer who still wants to do something interesting. In my case it turned out to be related to braille transcription (and I'm not interested in working on anything else).

It seems to me that the underlying software engineering problems and the paradigms haven't changed that much since I took my first programming course before a lot of you guys were born. We older people may not know what an Ubuntu distro is or appreciate the trade-offs between client-side and server-side or recognize every buzzword (I'm still having a bit of trouble fully appreciating Ajax for example) but we aren't dumb. Plus I'm sure I'm not the only older code developer planning to be around long enough to be eventually needing accessible software.

SusanJ