accessibility

[Accessibility] conflict free disabled programmer needs

From: Eric S. Johansson
Subject: [Accessibility] conflict free disabled programmer needs
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 06:21:45 -0400

trying to move away from the difference of opinion between disabled support versus free software I offer a couple of relatively low controversy needs and solutions that don't involve speech recognition but will make a big impact on users.

ad hoc remote file system access.

since most accessibility software currently assumes you are working on the machine you have enabled, the end-user is forced to go through variety of unpleasant gyrations to access/modify data on a remote machine. Some form of an impromptu/ad hoc filesystem would be useful. The way I envision it, it would be a command the user would run and tunnel back over a port forward via secure shell. I'm not sure it's possible to use Samba in this way or maybe some modification for NFS server. A third option might be something like sshd or webdav using a small user space Web server. a fourth option would be some form of rapid synchronization every time a file changed on one side or the other.

Easier file copying between systems.

While it's moderately easy to do file copying between systems with command lines, it's still a handbreaker. Being able say "list directories" in a terminal window, see a list of files and then be able to select one or more and then move to another terminal window and "copy those files" which automatically generates the right ssh command to do the copy.

Grammar: copy those files [<recursively> | <verbosely>]

a variation of this would be to do ad hoc bidirectional synchronization.

a shell to client-side accessibility UI bridge.

Develop a mechanism in which the user interface client-side code to query remote system for contextual information. For example, what files are in a directory so that they can be spoken in a way that makes sense. Or in the case above of file copying between systems, gather the source and target directories so the proper copy command can be constructed

This is also be useful in the application of the interrupting cow UI

just some thoughts based on the kind of experiences I've seen myself and others report.