accessibility

Re: [Accessibility] conflict free disabled programmer needs

From: Eric S. Johansson
Subject: Re: [Accessibility] conflict free disabled programmer needs
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 10:27:31 -0400

 On 7/29/2010 7:02 AM, Jason White wrote:
Willem van der Walt<address@hidden>  wrote:
Why not just use sshfs to mount the remote filesystem?
Or rsync to transfer the files?

In the extremely simple, they may work but neither of these technique easily support privilege escalation. For example, I may need to edit my Apache configuration. I don't have root but do have sudo privileges. How do I do it? I can't make use of a terminal session because of accessibility tool limitations. I really need to bring the file local and then make sure copy makes it back.

sshfs may work okay. But I've tried the equivalent on Windows, there have been significant delays because of caching and I was not able to raise privilege on the far side with sudo. I needed root passwords to be able to login and access the file system as root.

rsync does work but I've burned myself way too many times not remembering to put the data back. Same with unison. This should be low hassle or invisible.

Again all of these things are far more clumsy and hand breaking they should be. It should be possible to build a framework by which one can discover information about the far side and incrementally build up the information necessary to execute the command.

I do agree that the X11 assistive technologies need to become remotely
available. The accessibility API for Gnome (and its extension to QT) use DBus,
which as far as I know can't be transported over the network. I think this
should be addressed at some point, although I doubt that I would use it
frequently. I spend most of my time at the shell level and in GNU Emacs of
course, running X only for applications that need it.

On the other hand, I would use it all the time. What ever I use for speech recognition should be divorced from where I work as a method of isolating the least free component from everything else. separating the free from the nonfree. This separation enabling individual components to provide greater functionality would be seen by many disabled programmers/technical types as a liberating experience in their life and further reducing the visibility of NaturallySpeaking as a stand-alone component as a benefit.