Re: [aspell-devel] support for compound words and word skipping by conte

From: Chris Hornbaker
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] support for compound words and word skipping by context
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 19:47:41 +0000

On Friday 26 March 2004 17:07, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Chris Hornbaker wrote:
> >  I just saw the entry for support for compound words under Important
> > Items in the To Do section of the pre-release manual docs. The language
> > I'd like to add support for has the potential to have millions of
> > compound words. It has some simple rules for combining them (like, no
> > consonant pairs). If I can be of some help, then please let me know.

I didn't mean "no consonant pairs" in the above, I meant "no double consonant
pairs", like dd, cc, gg, etc.

> I need details.  I am especially interested in cases where concatenating
> two words together is not sufficient.

Typically an extra letter is added -- sorta like a glue that keeps them
separate, but together. When two consonants connect that -are not-
permissible, then the letter 'y' is placed between them. So, "dd" becomes
"dyd".

There's also the case where you'd need to add a consonant to meet the "you
must have a permissible consonant pair within the first five letters of the
word, excluding the letters y and ' (apostrophe)" rule. When you have a word
like "soi" and you want to combine it with "sai" (creating "soisai", which is
illegal) you use the letter "r" to create a permissible consonant pair.  In
this case, "soisai" would need to be "soirsai" to be legal. If, however, "r"
cannoy be used (like when it would create a "rr" consonant pair), then you
would use "n".

For a deeper look, check out:
http://www.lojban.org/publications/reference_grammar/chapter4.html

> > Also, word skipping by context interests me. In this language, to use
> > words from another language, you must essentially "escape" to it (like
> > \n). Here we use with, for example, names from the English language, la'i
> > gy. <english-name> gy. So you'd have something like: la'o gy. White House
> > gy. There is, also, a way to include whole or parts of sentences from
> > another language. Again, if I can be of some help, then please let me
> > know.
>
> Multi language checking is not something Aspell supports directly yet.  if
> you are willing to contribute code, than perhaps you could be of some
> help.

Alright.

--
Christopher Hornbaker