Re: [aspell-devel] Word lists that use Affix

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] Word lists that use Affix
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 00:55:35 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Jose Da Silva wrote:

> On Tuesday 30 November 2004 10:39 am, Gary Setter wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to reduce the size of the word list that I used. It seems
> > like Affix compression is a way to do it. To make good use of the
> > feature it looks like I need a word list that uses affix, like
> > "abdicate/DSGN".
> >
> > If this compresses the word lists, how can I find words lists
> > that make use of it. Alternatively, does anyone have a utility to
> > convert my existing word lists to make use of affix compression?
>
> www.google.com is your friend.
> If you type search terms:
> word list affix compression
>
> It shows myspell, then it shows that it is included in aspell
> Take a look for "munch.c" in the myspell subdirectory.

That will work.

Also, I just uploaded a new Aspell snapshot:
  ftp://alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/aspell/aspell-0.60.2-20041203.tar.gz
which included support for affix compression in the "aspell" utility.
See section "Working With Affix Info in Word Lists" in the manual for more
info.

I do not recommend using affix compression for English, but if you want to
use it make sure you have the very latest version of the English
dictionary installed which included affix info.  You will also need to
specifically enable affix-compression when compiling the dictionary,
otherwise Aspell will expand the wordlist as it reads it in.  See the
section "Affix Compression" for more info on that.

This question is more appropriate for the aspell-user mailing list so if
you have more questions please post there.

--
http://kevin.atkinson.dhs.org