Re: [aspell-devel] install-dir home-dir prefix config keyword

From: Gary Setter
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] install-dir home-dir prefix config keyword
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 09:18:39 -0600

<snip>
> PREFIX and dicts should always be an absolute path.  When will
> "WIN32_USE_EXECUTABLE_DIR" not be defined?

This is the same old problem. I'm more willing to put another
macro into the code then change the way someone existing project
works without their permission.
I know you expect software to change and when the release notes
clearly state what you are changing, you expect your user to
adapt or not upgrade.
I worked for a lot of years at a company that had strict rules
about changing output. I've also wrenched when reading stories
about companies that got a bad reputation by releasing new
versions that made customers spend a lot of time and money
adapting to the change. And sometimes to retain compatability
with other systems, you can't pass up an upgrade, so customer
somethimes get stuck.

<snip>
> I find something like that acceptable.
>
> > What do you think?
> >
> > Also why isn't HOME_DIR dirs.h?
>
> Because dirs.h is a generated file.  It can be moved there if
necessary.

It's not necessary, I just wondered.
By the way, I found the perl code that is suppose to generate the
dirs.h, and I tried to figure out the configure file, but I'm
stumped. I don't know why that file is not generated. Should it
just be distributed in the win32 subdir?

The question is, do we need more macros provide better keyword
defaults while we preserve existing functionality.