Re: [aspell-devel] Thoughts on using aspell for Indian language ing

From: Jose Da Silva
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] Thoughts on using aspell for Indian language ing
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 16:35:57 -0800

On November 13, 2006 09:37 am, Ethan Bradford wrote:
> Gora, how do Hindi keyboards support the entry of halant?  If
> entering the halant is just another keystroke (so the codes are
> entered as they are stored in Unicode), then why wouldn't the
> transposition of a halant with another keystroke be just as likely as
> any other transposition?  "Teh" makes no sense whatever in English,
> but I type it often enough.  Or are there separate keystrokes for the
> half-width (i.e. vowel-less) consonants, which automatically add a
> halant?  If that's the case, then we want to treat "ka+halant"
> special, not "kra".

This sort of brings up interesting questions (off topic for this thread)
If you look at this patch for a qwertz.kbd it asks the question, would a
Hindi keyboard be treated the same/similar way?
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1294110&group_id=245&atid=300245

Looking at it, it seems to make sense to actually have it as UTF-8 to
answer the question: "It's encoded in UTF-8. I'm not sure whether
non-Ascii keyboard files are supported."