Re: [aspell-devel] patch to fix for g++ -O3

From: Jose Da Silva
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] patch to fix for g++ -O3
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 00:01:55 -0800

On Friday 05 January 2007 21:00, you wrote:
> Hi,
>       More comments:
> Your --srcdir argument looks incorrect; it is inconsistent with your
> ../configure invocation: it should be "--srcdir=..", but you should really
> omit it altogether, as it is automatically inferred (correctly).

It's a copy-n-paste error due to several tries. You are right about this:
md build
cd build

but I had also tried these
cd ..
md z
cd z

cd ..
md "z z"
cd "z z"
, then pasted and then fixed "incorrectly".
...in both cases above, it would be more like this
../aspell-0.60.5/configure --srcdir=../aspell-0.60.5

> Again, see my previous email.  You have not successfully regenerated
> Makefile.in yet (run 'autoreconf' after patching if you have automake
> installed).  Assuming you fix the configure-invocation as described
> earlier, the make commands for "gen/dirs.h" should look like:
>
> -------->8 snip 8<--------
> fang% make gen/dirs.h
> cd gen; perl ../../gen/mk-dirs_h.pl /usr/local /usr/local/lib/aspell-0.60
> /usr/local/lib/aspell-0.60  /usr/local/etc >  dirs.h
> -------->8 snip 8<--------
>
> because my revisions to Makefile.am result in the following change in
> Makefile.in (near line 1880) [1]:
>
> gen/dirs.h: $(srcdir)/gen/mk-dirs_h.pl
>       cd gen; perl ../$(srcdir)/gen/mk-dirs_h.pl ${prefix} ${pkgdatadir}
> ${pkglibdir}  ${sysconfdir} >  dirs.h

Makefile.in contained your fix (at line 1876 for me), but unfortunately I was
not able to complete the "make", so I'm still puzzled.

> Maintainers: Does my patch work for you?  Should I re-submit a patch
> including Makefile.in diffs?

I think "also" patching Makefile.in seems to be going in the wrong direction.
Ideally, nobody should really need to patch files and should really let the
tools do the work of generating files like Makefile.in

As an opinion, I think maybe the right direction to look may possibly be
towards config.ac, that way things are fixed way ahead in time.
Using "sqlite" as an example, there is no Makefile.am and their install
process is similar to what you like with an external build directory.
This would Aspell using their README as a guide:
    tar xzf aspell-0.60.5.tar.gz    ;#  Unpack the source tree
    mkdir bld                ;#  Build will occur in a sibling directory
    cd bld                   ;#  Change to the build directory
    ../aspell-0.60.5/configure      ;#  Run the configure script
    make                     ;#  Run the makefile.
    make install             ;#  (Optional) Install the build products

> [1] In hindsight, that could probably just be re-written:
>
> gen/dirs.h: $(srcdir)/gen/mk-dirs_h.pl
>       perl $(srcdir)/gen/mk-dirs_h.pl ${prefix} ${pkgdatadir}
> ${pkglibdir}  ${sysconfdir} > $@

A pause for reflection is good. For example, I've placed a couple of patches
on sourceforge that I've deleted, then re-wrote due to haste to "get it out
fast".
... so, as with your hindsight, sometimes thinking things through comes out
with nicer results.

Jose.