Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Two odd features with "new" installation procedur

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Two odd features with "new" installation procedure
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 12:24:29 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2005-05-24) writes:
>
>> Well, I have 2.59.  It would appear that AS_HELP_STRING is so recent
>> an addition to autoconf that it would be better not to use it.  I
>> don't think it is used more than once or twice, so I'll replace this
>> for now.
>
> autoconf 2.59 was released about 1.5 years ago.  IMO that's long
> enough for people to install a copy of it in case they want to build
> bleeding edge software.  I don't consider it a good idea to clutter
> the code for making it compatible with older versions of such a
> tool.  I seem to remember that you have thought similarly about
> autoconf.

All our help strings with the exception of this single one are
formatted manually.  There is no point in having a single string
formatted differently, actually.  Maybe we will just format everything
with AS_HELP_STRING at some point of time, but I don't think we should
do that right now.

It would also be impolite to demand more recent versions than what is
currently provided by MSYS, Cygwin and, well.  Uhm.  Woody.  Ok,
people will need backported Emacsen for that to work with our sources,
anyway, and so a backported autoconf would not seem all that bad...

By the way: does anyone object if I replace the initial #!/bin/sh line
in install-sh and mkinstalldirs with just : ?  The scripts get called
from the Makefile (which requires a Bourne shell) anyway, and there is
so much that can go wrong with #!/bin/sh...  Like there being no
executable /bin/sh, or there being no executable /bin/sh^M, or a
number of different things.