Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: [AUCTeX] Re: Debugging LaTeX warnings

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: [AUCTeX] Re: Debugging LaTeX warnings
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 19:36:40 +0100

* David Kastrup (2005-11-05) writes:

> I guess that the style subdirectory should probably be accessed only
> by \usepackage.  That means that style/babel.el would have to cater on
> its own for loading francais.el or similar.

Yes, that would make sense.  But for that to work we have to store the
options of the \usepackage call somewhere.  So somewhere we have to
handle some more complicated data structures.  I wish there were
something like a C or C++ struct in Elisp.  Property lists don't
really cut it.

> What to do about user styles and so on?  We have an auto subdirectory.
> If this is supposed to work with DOS style file names or Unix short
> file names (14 characters or so), one might be tempted to create
> subdirectories style, input, bibtex and so in them.  But
> subdirectories are even more cleanup work.  Another possibility is
> filenames like xxx.sty.el, xxx.tex.el xxx.bib.el and so on in the auto
> directory.  On short file name systems, it might mean that the .el
> gets lost, and this will affect the mode when hand-editing those
> files.  Not really an important problem IMO.

And what we have in the file system will somehow have to be mapped to
the name or signature of the style.  We currently use stuff like

(TeX-add-style-hook
 "babel"
 (lambda ()
   ...))

This does not allow for babel.sty to be distinguished from babel.dtx.