[AUCTeX-devel] Verbatim macros in different modes

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Verbatim macros in different modes
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 10:50:30 +0100

While trying to get rid of a font-latex-related error with
`LaTeX-verbatim-*' variables when loading plain TeX files I thought
that it would make more sense to move especially the
`LaTeX-verbatim-macros-*' variables to tex.el.

Now, the default of `LaTeX-verbatim-macros-with-delims' is '("verb"
"verb*"), but as far as I understand the TeXbook and plain.tex there
are no such predefined macros in plain TeX.  This is probably also
true for other languages supported by AUCTeX like ConTeXt and Texinfo.
ConTeXt has the environment \starttyping ...\stoptyping but I did not
find a macro for short verbatim content.  And Texinfo has @verb but
IIUC not @verb*.

So I thought we could move the `LaTeX-verbatim-macros-*' variables to
tex.el which will then become `TeX-verbatim-macros-*'.  Every mode
will get its own customizable variables,
e.g. `ConTeXt-verbatim-macros-with-braces', the value of which will be
added to `TeX-verbatim-macros-with-braces-local', i.e. a buffer-local
internal variable, when the mode is activated.  Libraries like
font-latex (which currently is LaTeX-centric, I know) will then only
have to look into `TeX-verbatim-macros-*' variables to determine the
relevant macros.

Does this make sense?  Does anybody have a more sane or more elegant
solution?