Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: [AUCTeX-commit] auctex texmathp.el

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: [AUCTeX-commit] auctex texmathp.el
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:56:30 +0100

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2005-11-30) writes:
>
>> And we should have simple ways to override the confusion where it is
>> hard to avoid.  If people absolutely insist on being able to stick all
>> sorts of unmatched stuff into comments,
>
> Hm, is it possible that something like
>
> % \begin{align}
> % ...
> %    \begin{macrocode}
> ... $foo$ ...
> %    \end{macrocode}
> % ...
> % \end{align}
>
> happens?

Everything is possible.  But I don't think it possible that a user
could expect any particular behavior from AUCTeX apart from not
crashing.

> Okay, unless somebody has a better idea I'll revert the last change
> of texmathp.el.

I really think we should try not to be too smart when this makes
thinks less intuitive for the user.  I have no exact idea about the
ramifications of this particular change, though.

Maybe we should make it possible to outcomment stuff in a way that
actually hides it from syntax coloring and similar, like using %% or
so.  Or introduce a special comment syntax that does not get treated
as a comment by AUCTeX.

> The change regarding environments looks less problematic, so I'm
> inclined to keep it.  But for consistency reasons it should probably
> be removed as well.

I have no strong opinion about that as I don't think brace matching
tricks are used or required in environments as compared to $ and
similar.