Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Future AUCTeX distribution

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Future AUCTeX distribution
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 01:06:41 +0900

    David> I'll probably come back here to ask how to properly produce
    David> a "package-index" file that would permit XEmacs users to
    David> access our distribution site with the XEmacs package
    David> browser.

"Properly" is done with our Makefiles; AFAIK they are the reference
implementation, there is no separate specification.  So forget
"proper", just hack up something good enough.

For that, you simply need to substitute the variables in the XEmacs
AUCTeX Makefile for the corresponding variables in the existing
package-info.in, both of which you can get from Uwe, then compute and
substitute few simple data like package size, MD5, and date produced,
and wrap it in

;;;@@@
(package-get-update-base-entry (quote
;; edited package-info.in goes here
))

Then save to "package-index.LATEST.gpg".

AFAIK the funky ";;;@@@" comment is part of package-index syntax, and
it can't hurt.  IIRC size and MD5 are computed on the tar.gz file.  Done.