[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Question about AUCTex binding of C-c `

From: David Kastrup
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Question about AUCTex binding of C-c `
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 02:19:13 +0100

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

>> > I downloaded AUCTeX (version 11.14) from the Web,
>>
>> Why would you download such a stone-age version?
>
> It was one that I found, googling, that didn't have a bz2 suffix,
> which I don't yet have a Windows program to uncompress. I probably
> could have found a more recent non-bz2 if I had looked longer or
> better.

Cough.  The AUCTeX web site contains a download site that contains
.tar.gz and .zip files exclusively.  No .bz2 file at all.  And
download is from <URL:ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/auctex> which is not
really hard to find.  All of the first 5 links for "AUCTeX" on Google
lead rather directly to that place.

I really wonder what kind of Google search landed you elsewhere.

> My aim was just to determine whether the binding `C-c `' was a
> minor-mode binding or a major-mode binding.
>
>> Correct.  Apart from that, it is very inconvenient to type, anyway.
>> We have not yet been able to agree on a good alternative.  Maybe we
>> should just leave this to next-error and be done.
>
> That would be better.

Well, except that AUCTeX does not get used only on Emacs 22 (which has
a binding for `next-error').  I tend to forget that.

>> You'll find IIRC that RefTeX, a minor mode, is not exactly
>> faultless either.  However, since it is a non-global minor mode and
>> only intended to be used together with LaTeX modes, there is not
>> much point in adhering strictly to the minor/major separation
>> lines: the total package needs to make sense from its keybindings.
>
> Sure. And a package should also adhere to the guidelines, so it
> plays well with other packages. IOW, there are binding concerns
> internal to a package (or within a package family) and binding
> concerns external to a package: in-house rules and friendly-neighbor
> rules.

If the neighbor is friendly enough, one can agree to let the
borderlines wash out.  In a house I lived in once, we had just one
Unix server running in my apartment for most computing services,
hooked up with the printer of one neighbor, the tape streamer of
another (who also provided most of the memory for the server) and so
on.  There was no fixed keybinding: everybody had keys to everybody
else's appartment.

>> Good bindings are usually not found by complaints alone, proposals
>> could help.
>
> One would need to be familiar with the ensemble of AUCTeX bindings,
> and their uses, to make appropriate binding suggestions. My request
> is just to adhere to the guideline, so minor modes can use C-c +
> punctuation such as ` and '.

In what contexts did the problem occur?  You don't sound like you use
AUCTeX yourself.