Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Repository for RefTeX

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Repository for RefTeX
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 22:51:35 +0100

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2007-01-27) writes:
>
>> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Changes compared to the currently downloadable tarball are the
>>> addition of a ChangeLog file, the placement of reftex.texi into a
>>> `doc' directory and the removal of the `reftex' info file.
>>
>> Sounds reasonable.  With regard to Makefile, one will probably at
>> one point of time take a look of whether it makes sense to do
>> something using autoconf, but maybe that's a can of worms.
>
> Speaking about cans of worms ...  How about trying to implement a
> Lisp-based build procedure for RefTeX?  Here we have the chance to
> start more or less from scratch.

It's not like we would not have this option with AUCTeX if we really
wanted to.

> That would also spare us complaints of users having to download and
> install build tools separately.

A valid point on Windows.

IIRC, Miles posted some installer tool written in Elisp on
emacs-devel, something to which Richard said "if a package system
would look like that, I would not object to it".  Something left to
for after the release IIRC.

It would probably make a lot of sense, if we wanted to go the route of
Elisp-based installation, to start there.