[AUCTeX-devel] Re: AUCTeX tool-bar and icons

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: AUCTeX tool-bar and icons
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 23:31:48 +0200

On Wed, May 14 2008, Ralf Angeli wrote:

> * Reiner Steib (2008-05-14) writes:
>> On Wed, May 14 2008, Ralf Angeli wrote:
> Well, there is no entry in `toolbarx-default-toolbar-meaning-alist'
> corresponding to `new-file'.  So if it is offered in
> `TeX-bar-LaTeX-buttons', the implementation should be added.

I thought tex-bar/toolbarx would just use Emacs' definition.

>>> With GTK I don't see a difference between `find-file' and
>>> `menu-find-file-existing'.  And there is no equivalent in Emacs 21.
>>
>> We should not refrain from improving the tool bar just to make it
>> identical under Emacs 21.
>
> Sure.  But the stuff should at least work in Emacs 21.

Agreed.

>>  (defconst toolbarx-default-toolbar-meaning-alist
>>    '((separator :image "sep" :command t :enable nil :help "")
>> -    (open-file :image ["new" toolbar-file-icon]
>> +    (new-file :image ["new" toolbar-file-icon]
> [...]
>> +    (open-file :image ["open" toolbar-file-icon]
>
> So on XEmacs both entries will mean the same.

Sorry, I only changed the Emacs bits.

>> +           :command [menu-find-file-existing toolbar-open]
>
> I just played a bit with `find-file' and `menu-find-file-existing' and
> the distinction looks rather artificial to me, so I would not bother if
> we did not support the latter.

The difference is that menu-find-file-existing tries to ensure that
only existing file can be selected (which seem only possible with the
old GTK dialog, see the defun `menu-find-file-existing').

But we could use the following:

(defconst toolbarx-default-toolbar-meaning-alist
  `((separator :image "sep" :command t :enable nil :help "")
[...]
    (open-file :image ["open" toolbar-file-icon]
               :command [,(if (fboundp 'menu-find-file-existing)
                              'menu-find-file-existing
                            'find-file)
                         toolbar-open]

>> I'd rather use something like Gnus `gmm-tool-bar-zap-list', but
>> I'm biased, of course (warning: there's no XEmacs compatibility
>> there).
>
> If we dropped XEmacs compatibility we'd not have a need for toolbar-x
> anymore.  This is not the worst option in my opinion.

But with plain Emacs (i.e. w/o toolbar-x or stuff like in Gnus'
gmm-utils.el), there's no simple way to make the tool bar
customizable.

>> When using Emacs 21, the user won't miss the icon in AUCTeX.  So we
>> don't need to care about the missing image.  Using the wrong image is
>> confusing.
>
> Can we perhaps make the `dired' option available only on platforms which
> have the respective image?  Providing the option and then doing nothing
> or throwing an error when it is used is not so good.

Does it throw an error?  Usually missing images just result in missing
tool bar buttons, not in errors.

If you don't object, I can commit the following patch.  But as said
before, it's not tested with Emacs 21 or XEmacs, so someone else (you
;-)) might have to modify/fix it for those.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)