Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Default settings

From: Florêncio Neves
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Default settings
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 19:31:24 -0400

On 3/17/14, Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> wrote:
> Florêncio Neves <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Hi Florêncio,
>
>> I think the following settings should become the default:
>>
>>   (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex)
>>   (setq reftex-plug-into-AUCTeX t)
>
> As Uwe mentioned, reftex is a separate package on XEmacs, so it might
> not be installed.  We could possibly check if it's available and if so,
> enable it.  Though, in general, I think it's better to start out basic
> and make it easy to enable things instead of starting out big and making
> it hard for users that don't want a particular feature to disable it
> again.

Well, you can always *disable* stuff that you don't like.  I find it
much more likely that people give up using AUCTeX because it appears
not to do even the most basic stuff.

I consider direct PDF generation the "basic" option, and going through
DVI the "technical" alternative that might be required in some
esoteric situation.

>>   (setq-default TeX-PDF-mode t)
>
> I have that too, but there are still good reasons why people use DVI
> output.  All in all, I don't have a strong opinion here.
>
>>   (setq TeX-parse-self t)
>
> I agree with Mosè that basically anybody doing LaTeX editing want that
> to be t, and then I'd say the parsing is fast enough.  However, there
> are possibly Emacs users on systems that have AUCTeX installed that look
> at some tex file only causually, and then it would be bad if the
> defaults make that slow.
>
> I've just tried running `TeX-auto-apply' on some large latex document
> (that's what's called with `TeX-parse-self' set to t), and even on my
> recent computer with an SSD, it takes about a second.  So it might
> easily take several seconds on older computers.

Is there a minibuffer message, and can you interrupt parsing with C-g?
 If so, I don't see a problem.

>>   (setq TeX-source-correlate-mode t)
>
> You shouldn't set this variable but use the function of the same name
> instead.
>
> I don't have a strong opinion here.  One minor point is that if the
> source specials method is used, then the PDF/DVI contains information
> that's possibly not intended for those with whom you share the document.
>
>>   (add-hook 'TeX-mode-hook '(lambda () (LaTeX-math-mode t))
>
> You can use LaTeX without writing maths, so some people might prefer to
> be able to insert ` quickly instead of having that as a prefix command.

I agree.  So I think the Math menu should always be shown (it is
available in TeX even if you don't use it).  In this case the purpose
of the math minor mode would be just to turn on and off the ` prefix.

(By the way, the Math menu cannot be accessed by clicking LaTeX/M on
the modeline.  Maybe it should...)

>> Also, dollar signs should automatically become electric if
>> `electric-pair-mode' is active (I think currently one has set
>> TeX-electric-math manually).
>
> AUCTeX' and electric-pair's pairing features are basically exclusive.
> You can use either one, but both together don't work too good.

Couldn't that be fixed?

By the way, I noticed you can't exit a pair $ ... $ by typing a dollar
sign.  In other words, if you have

 $abc!$

where ! denotes the cursor position, and type $, you get

 $abc!$$

instead of

 $abc$!

as expected.  (I still think that now that Emacs has fancy pair
insertion functionality built-in, it would be better to bind $ to
self-insert-command and let Emacs do the rest.  It already knows $ is
to be treated as a delimiter in TeX mode, so it would do pair
insertion as expected if electric-pair-mode is active.)

>> I was also going to add (setq TeX-master 'dwim) to the above list, but
>> it didn't do what I meant (I am using ELPA's version, 11.87.3).  Was
>> this setting supposed to discover if the current file requires a
>> master, and try to find it?
>
> Quite so.  If `TeX-master' is dwim, AUCTeX checks if there's some other
> latex buffer that holds a file in the same directory and has
> `TeX-master' explicitly set to a string/file.  This basically handles
> the common situation where you have:
>
>   main.tex       ;; TeX-master: t
>   secs/sec01.tex ;; TeX-master: "../main.tex"
>
> and now you do C-x C-f secs/sec02.tex to write another section in a
> separate file.  In this case, sec02.tex automatically has the same
> `TeX-master' value as sec01.tex.

I think the most useful feature regarding master files would be the
following: if the current buffer is not a complete latex document
(i.e., it has no \documentclass and \begin{document}) and has no
master file associated to it, then AUCTeX should ask for a master file
instead of calling latex on that buffer.