Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Aquamacs Maverik, auctex, problems, preview, xdvi, pd

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Aquamacs Maverik, auctex, problems, preview, xdvi, pdf viewer inverse search
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 15:52:52 +0200

Hi Uwe,

> Hello
>
> I don't use really Mac OS, but I installed, for a friend,  aquamacs (the new
> version is
> based on GNU emacs 24, which ships among other things auctex 11.87.
>
> However there are some problems. I am not sure who is the culprit here,
> auquamacs or auctex, but I just report the problems:
>
>     -  the Latex distribution installed seems to be
>        texshop/texmaker/texworks. Xdvi is not installed nor skim

TeX Live, MiKTeX, MacTeX are TeX distributions, instead TeXShop,
Texmaker, TeXworks (and Emacs, of course!) are editors.

>     -  preview sort of works, the images are generated but then when
>        they are displayed they are invisible, in the current setting (I
>        presume this is a grey scale issue).

Never seen before, sorry, cannot help without further information.

>     -  per default correlate and pdflatex is set to on, which is good,
>        but unfortunately forward and inverse search do not work, I
>        presume this is a problem of choosing the correct pdf viewer.

Correlate mode only tells AUCTeX to compile with SyncTeX/source
specials support, but then you have to tell the viewer the selected
line.  Which are the viewers in use?  Check the variable
`TeX-view-program-selection' and `TeX-view-program-list' or
`TeX-view-program-list-builtin'.  For example, the built-in "xdg-open"
specification does nothing to tell the viewer which is the selected
line.

>     -  I recall there was an experimental toolbar for latex symbols
>        (the person for which I installed aquamacs is used to win-edit
>        which had huge menu bars with all sort of symbols). Where can I
>        find this toolbar in auctex?

Are you referring to

  (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'LaTeX-install-toolbar)
  (add-to-list 'TeX-bar-LaTeX-buttons
               'latex-symbols-experimental t)

?  It seems you requested it (almost!) exactly one year ago:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/auctex-devel/2013-07/msg00017.html
:-)