Re: [AUCTeX-devel] problems with Xemacs 21.4.22 Mule on Mac, xdvi

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] problems with Xemacs 21.4.22 Mule on Mac, xdvi
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 12:25:08 +0200

   > Hi Uwe,

   > Well, AUCTeX (actually *Emacs) expects a program to be in a PATH
   > directory, not necessarily /usr/bin.  If /usr/texbin is not in the
   > PATH, AUCTeX cannot find xdvi, did you expect something else?

Hm that is odd.
I thought that somewhere deep in the auctex code there are standards
path set like /usr/bin  /usr/local/bin etc (however I could not find
such setting) so basically you say (X)Emacs wants the executables like
xdvi in any PATH whatsoever.

I confess the laptop with MaC OS is not mine, but I suspect the tex
installation to be a MaC OS specific one and not texlive.

But what  I don't understand is the following.
If I do

 «which xdvi» in the terminal application of the Mac (which I think is a
 bash shell) and it returns

 /usr/texbin/xdvi

Isn't (X)Emacs supposed to find this executable?

   > Can you use forward/inverse search on GNU/Linux instead?

In GNU/Linux and Xemacs 21.5.34 everything is fine!