Re: [AUCTeX-devel] [AUCTeX] GNU AUCTeX 11.89.4 released to ELPA

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] [AUCTeX] GNU AUCTeX 11.89.4 released to ELPA
Date: Sun, 22 May 2016 18:06:36 +0200

Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Mosè,

>> Thereby, I've also converted our ChangeLog.1 to UTF-8 and removed the
>> iconv pass from built-aux/gitlog-to-auctexlog because that apparently
>> failed for me.  Seems like some recent commit had some non-ISO-8859-1
>> encodable character in it (which is ok).
>
> XEmacs without MULE doesn't support UTF-8 encoding.

Given the fact that XEmacs development has been discontinued, I think we
can stop supporting it actively.  It's probably too early to remove
compatibility code, but I don't think it's worth the trouble to consider
XEmacs support for new code at least.

Well, and in the concrete case, if one character in the ChangeLog shows
up as \xxx or a box, I don't consider that a drama. :-)

> On the other hand, the ChangeLog you touched is a pretty old one,
> there are fewer chances a XEmacs user (and in particular those not
> using MULE) may need it.

The ChangeLog.1 has been ok in ISO-8859-1.  But the ChangeLog for
releases is produced by prepending the git log from the day of our
switch to ChangeLog.1, and some recent git commit has the non-ISO-8859-1
char in its message.  I.e., from now on the ChangeLog that's distributed
with AUCTeX releases will be UTF-8, too.