[where is master] (was: TeX-master and TeX-output-master)

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: [where is master] (was: TeX-master and TeX-output-master)
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2020 19:09:40 +0200

>>> "AH" == Al Haji-Ali <abdo.haji.ali@gmail.com> writes:

   > Hello Uwe,
   > On 09/09/2020, Uwe Brauer wrote:
   >> Sorry to just jump into the discussion that started a while ago. I have
   >> it some thought and think that it might fit well into my workflow. Is
   >> this patch available in a branch in the git repository? I'd like to test
   >> it.

   > It's not in the git repo yet. But if you apply the patch to the
   > master branch (possibly creating a private local branch) and set
   > the variable `TeX-output-dir` to something like "build", you should
   > be able to test it. Let me know if you need more info on using this
   > feature.

I will do that, thanks but I am deeply puzzled (being a mercurial user
not a git user)

 git remote -v

Show me:
 origin  git://git.savannah.gnu.org/auctex.git (fetch)

Git pull Already up-to-date.
* master
  remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/master
  remotes/origin/core-latex-in-style-hooks
  remotes/origin/gendocspatch
  remotes/origin/lexical-binding-attempt-1
  remotes/origin/master
  remotes/origin/simplify-TeX-parse-error

I never understood the difference between master and
remotes/origin/master

Any how
git log shows
commit 087b0300012d14cc86dec946d6c225cdb06460a1
Author: Ikumi Keita <ikumi@ikumi.que.jp>
Date:   Fri Aug 28 15:32:53 2020 +0900

    Simplify mode line for emacs 27

    * tex-buf.el: Don't add an entry in `minor-mode-alist' for
    `compilation-in-progress'. In emacs 27, compile.el adds a similar
    entry in `mode-line-modes'.

Which looks odd to me.

I clone the git repository also with mercurial (and the hg-git plugin)

Then I see
◍  commit 9e2a8e0b59b578a6b2a980bfc181a73bc0898a12
│  Author: Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org>
│  Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2020 18:15:52 +0200
│
│  Fix command expansion.
│
│  TeX-file-fn is gone.  Use the symbol or function TeX-active-master in
│  TeX-expand-list{,-builtin} where formally `file' (and then TeX-file-fn) was
│  used.
│

That looks much more logical to me

So I tried

git checkout remotes/origin/master
,----
| Note: checking out 'remotes/origin/master'.
|
| You are in 'detached HEAD' state. You can look around, make experimental
| changes and commit them, and you can discard any commits you make in this
| state without impacting any branches by performing another checkout.
|
| If you want to create a new branch to retain commits you create, you may
| do so (now or later) by using -b with the checkout command again. Example:
|
|   git checkout -b <new-branch-name>
`----

Frankly git is beyond me.
I feel like