Re: .dir-locals.el in AUCTeX tree

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: .dir-locals.el in AUCTeX tree
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 10:00:15 +0100

Hi Arash,

> AUCTeX doesn't have a .dir-locals.el in the development tree.  There
> are not many contributors, but I think it makes sense to have one.  Is
> there a reason we don't have it?

No, just that it was invented only recently (in Emacs terms).

> Otherwise, I suggest to install one like this which is mostly taken
> from Emacs[1]:

Please do so.

> ;;; Directory Local Variables
> ;;; For more information see (info "(emacs) Directory Variables")
>
> ((nil . ((bug-reference-url-format . "https://debbugs.gnu.org/%s";)
>        (fill-column . 70)
>        (sentence-end-double-space . t)
>        (tab-width . 8)))
>  (change-log-mode . ((mode . bug-reference)
>                    (add-log-time-zone-rule . t)
>                    (fill-column . 74)))
>  (emacs-lisp-mode . ((mode . bug-reference-prog)
>                    (electric-quote-comment . nil)
>                    (electric-quote-string . nil)
>                    (indent-tabs-mode . nil)))
>  (texinfo-mxode . ((mode . bug-reference-prog)
>                 (electric-quote-comment . nil)
>                 (electric-quote-string . nil)
>                 (fill-column . 74))))
>
> I think the biggest change is to turn off `indent-tabs-mode' in
> `emacs-lisp-mode'.

Indeed, but I guess we should go with Emacs' conventions.  The question
then is, of course, if we should pro-actively convert our files.  One
strategy would be to convert one file after the other when one touches
it anyway, probably in a seperate commit.  At least we should try not to
have a file half tab-indented and the other part space-indented.