Re: .dir-locals.el in AUCTeX tree

From: Gustavo Barros
Subject: Re: .dir-locals.el in AUCTeX tree
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 19:42:41 -0300

Hi Arash,
Hi All,

On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 at 00:10, Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> AUCTeX doesn't have a .dir-locals.el in the development tree.  There are
> not many contributors, but I think it makes sense to have one.  Is there
> a reason we don't have it?  Otherwise, I suggest to install one like
> this which is mostly taken from Emacs[1]:
>
> ;;; Directory Local Variables
> ;;; For more information see (info "(emacs) Directory Variables")
>
> ((nil . ((bug-reference-url-format . "https://debbugs.gnu.org/%s";)
>        (fill-column . 70)
>        (sentence-end-double-space . t)
>        (tab-width . 8)))
>  (change-log-mode . ((mode . bug-reference)
>                    (add-log-time-zone-rule . t)
>                    (fill-column . 74)))
>  (emacs-lisp-mode . ((mode . bug-reference-prog)
>                    (electric-quote-comment . nil)
>                    (electric-quote-string . nil)
>                    (indent-tabs-mode . nil)))
>  (texinfo-mxode . ((mode . bug-reference-prog)
>                 (electric-quote-comment . nil)
>                 (electric-quote-string . nil)
>                 (fill-column . 74))))
>
> I think the biggest change is to turn off `indent-tabs-mode' in
> `emacs-lisp-mode'.
>
> Any comments welcome.
>
> Best, Arash
>
> Footnotes:
> [1]  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/.dir-locals.el

I've just received the new 13.0.1 from ELPA, thank you.

In that regard, I'd like to make a suggestion about the new .dir-locals
file.  As an user, I have really no comment about its inclusion in the
AUCTeX tree.  But its distribution through ELPA with the package I
believe to be less granted.  Those who install the package with
package.el presumably don't mean to edit the files.

And it may generate some inconveniences.  As an example, in my case,
precisely because I want to ensure I won't fat finger the packages in
the elpa/ directory, I use a .dir-locals there to open any package
source files read-only.  But, if AUCTeX distributes its own .dir-locals,
it overrides any other ones found up in the tree.

That's to say: would you please consider including `.dir-locals.el' to
`.elpaignore'?

Best regards,
Gustavo.