Re: Use of lexical binding plus various other things

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Use of lexical binding plus various other things
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 12:22:14 -0400

>> Duh!  Thanks for the heads up!
>> Indeed, `defadvice` hides the code from the byte-compiler which is why
>> I didn't get a warning for the (boundp 'begin).
>
> I expect that the attached patch makes preview.el.in ready for lexical
> binding...oops, I just noticed that revised commit has been put in on
> elpa!  Maybe my patch is redundant...

I think your patch is much better/cleaner than what I put in my branch
(since it removes those hideous advice), so if you push your patch to
AUCTeX's branch, I'll be happy to rebase my code on top if it.

> By the way, may I ask why many of :group arguments were removed from
> defcustom despite of the existence of correspoinding `defgroup'?

Because they're redundant: since Emacs-21, vars are placed by default
into the group defined in the same file.
[ I did not remove them in those files that define several groups since
  it can be valuable to be explicit in that case.  ]

        Stefan