auctex

Making LaTeX-math-mode insert Unicode characters

From: Andreas Matthias
Subject: Making LaTeX-math-mode insert Unicode characters
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2024 11:09:41 +0200

I'm referring to an email from Fred Akalin from 2018, <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/auctex/2018-02/msg00009.html>.

Fred wrote:

> Would it be possible to make the various LaTeX-math-mode abbreviations insert Unicode characters
> instead of LaTeX commands? For example, making "` a" insert "α" (the Unicode character for alpha)
> instead of "\alpha".

> I have a gist to modify AUCTeX to do so here: https://gist.github.com/akalin/b524942b0b3776dfd26c45841253ee4a .
> Of course, it would be great if AUCTeX had built-in support for this, although I'm not quite sure
> the best way to do so. Perhaps a customizable predicate that controls which abbreviations
> should insert Unicode characters? ("LaTeX-set-unicode-p" in my gist).

IMHO this is a great contribution. Mathematical equations are so much easier to read and write
by using unicode characters instead of TeX commands, especially for greek letters.
Using unicode-math.sty all greek letters are supported and much more.

Unfortunately this code didn't make it into the official AUCTeX distribution so far.
And I wonder why this email got no replies at all. Or did I miss something?

I'd really like to see this feature in the official AUCTeX distribution. Nudge ;)

There's one small issue:In text mode AUCTeX provides <C-u ` b> to insert $\beta$. This doesn't seem
to work with Fred's code that inserts β instead of $β$.

Andreas