auctex

Re: Making LaTeX-math-mode insert Unicode characters

From: Janusz S . Bień
Subject: Re: Making LaTeX-math-mode insert Unicode characters
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2024 19:19:29 +0200

On Sat, Jun 08 2024 at 11:09 +02, Andreas Matthias wrote:
> I'm referring to an email from Fred Akalin from 2018, <
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/auctex/2018-02/msg00009.html>.
>
> Fred wrote:
>
>> Would it be possible to make the various LaTeX-math-mode abbreviations
> insert Unicode characters
>> instead of LaTeX commands? For example, making "` a" insert "α" (the
> Unicode character for alpha)
>> instead of "\alpha".

I don't use LaTeX-math-mode but perhaps standard Emacs C-x 8 RET would
do?

Best regards

JSB

C-x 8 RET runs the command insert-char (found in global-map), which is
an interactive built-in function in ‘C source code’.

It is bound to C-x 8 RET.

(insert-char CHARACTER &optional COUNT INHERIT)

Insert COUNT copies of CHARACTER.
Interactively, prompt for CHARACTER using ‘read-char-by-name’.
You can specify CHARACTER in one of these ways:

 - As its Unicode character name, e.g. "LATIN SMALL LETTER A".
   Completion is available; if you type a substring of the name
   preceded by an asterisk ‘*’, Emacs shows all names which include
   that substring, not necessarily at the beginning of the name.

 - As a hexadecimal code point, e.g. 263A.  Note that code points in
   Emacs are equivalent to Unicode up to 10FFFF (which is the limit of
   the Unicode code space).

 - As a code point with a radix specified with #, e.g. #o21430
   (octal), #x2318 (hex), or #10r8984 (decimal).

If called interactively, COUNT is given by the prefix argument.  If
omitted or nil, it defaults to 1.

Inserting the character(s) relocates point and before-insertion
markers in the same ways as the function ‘insert’.

The optional third argument INHERIT, if non-nil, says to inherit text
properties from adjoining text, if those properties are sticky.  If
called interactively, INHERIT is t.

  Probably introduced at or before Emacs version 18.

--
             ,
Janusz S. Bien